Flash Augmented Reality Getting Started

My post yesterday about Augmented Reality raised a couple of issues which have both been solved by one blog post I found : FlarToolkit/Flash Augmented RealityGetting Started

The above post sheds light on the questions I had about the marker pattern, there is an AIR app available to create the code Mikko also give some guidance on creating your own marker.

Mikko has saved me a lot of time by rewriting the source code I was working from to make it easier to follow and he has provided comments in English.

I’m really happy now I don’t have to dig through the code and translate the Japanese using bable fish, it’s quite hard to understand.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 at 2:28 pm and is filed under Flash, New Tech. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 Comments so far

  1. Glad I could help. I’m working on some FlarToolkit stuff again so look out for some posts coming soon. 😉

  2. I saw that the frame rate was between the 20 and 30 fps. I almost have the same model only mine is playing at 7 fps. I have a hp XW 9400 with 20GB of Ram
    :S So how do you that?

  3. @ Rogier
    In the demo I’m using a sphere with a bitmap texture from the library:

    var materialEarth :BitmapAssetMaterial = new BitmapAssetMaterial( “Earth” );
    var sphere2: Sphere = new Sphere(materialEarth,50,20);
    sphere2.z = 100;
    sphere2.rotationX = 45;
    sphere2.yaw( -30 );

    The pc I used is a Dell Optiplex, 2 core 2.66GHz 2GB of RAM.

    Hope that clears it up, I can post the source if needed just let me know

  4. Hey,
    I have a similar problem to Rogier.. basically reproducing samples from places can create problems. I have found that have a large marker (taking up most of the webcam area) will significantly improve FPS.. (to around 30fps) but if you have a large, complex background.. even just your face is enough to drop the framerate (for me around 8-12) on some projects. This is a real problem and I hope for some optimisation of the code to allow us to expand our horizons 🙂

    Good luck augmenting your reality.

Have your say

Fields in bold are required. Email addresses are never published or distributed.

Some HTML code is allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
URIs must be fully qualified (eg: http://www.domainname.com) and all tags must be properly closed.

Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted.

Please keep comments relevant. Off-topic, offensive or inappropriate comments may be edited or removed.